This Toolkit is created and maintained by the LWV national networking group “Healthcare Reform for the U.S.” (HCR4US) (see contact info below).
Mission: The website and our network are dedicated to educating and mobilizing League members to work toward legislation that enacts the goals of our LWVUS health care position, with a strong focus on expanded and improved Medicare for All (a single-payer system). The materials are varied for different audiences, and they include pointers to resources for those who want to delve more deeply, and/or would like to do programming for local League or community meetings.
The toolkit contains materials in these nine areas:
- THE LEAGUE POSITION ON HEALTHCARE REFORM
The national position and its history, as well as a collection of state League positions.
- SINGLE PAYER-WHAT IS IT?
What is Single Payer? Why is it considered the gold standard?
- WHAT SINGLE PAYER ISN’T What are some myths, misconceptions, and outright lies?
- HOW WILL WE PAY FOR IT?
- PROPOSED LEGISLATION
Legislation which has been proposed on national or state levels.
- MEDICARE FOR ALL IN THE MEDIA
News and opinion pieces from mainstream media, Think Tanks, and well-vetted online journals.
- RESOURCES GALORE
A variety of materials in different formats for you to share freely.
- FELLOW ADVOCATES, ORGANIZATIONS, AND ALLIES SUPPORTING MEDICARE FOR ALL
- GET INVOLVED!
Suggested activities for Local Leagues (and Individuals).
Are you a League member interested in Health Care Reform? Please join the HCR4US network.
- Support efforts to educate and advocate for LWV Health Care positions, including behavioral health
- Help build a better Toolkit for advocating Health Care Reform
- Join a Google Group to exchange ideas and resources
- Join a monthly networking teleconferencing call to share best practices
- Help expand the reach of the network
Find out what’s on HCR4US’ “mind”: check out our Newsletter —May 2022, June 2022
To sign up, or for more information, please fill out our webform. (Not a League member? Can we explore with you how we can become “allies”? Please fill out our webform, so we can contact you.)
DONATE to help HCR4US expand our reach and effectiveness.
HCR4US co-chairs: Jean Hopkins, LWV-VT; Betty Keller, LWV-VT; Linda Mahan, LWV Larimer County, CO; Carol Mattoon, LWV-NW Maricopa County, AZ; Barbara Pearson, LWV-Amherst, MA. Web team: Ruth Harenchar (LWV-Manatee, FL), Barbara Pearson (LWV-MA), Akkana Peck (LWV-NM), Lynne Ipina (LWV-WY). They can be reached through our webform: tinyurl.com/Contact-LWV-HCR-4US